Langsung ke konten utama

The Present

 Hello, 

I hope this letter finds you well.

 

It's 7.30 in the morning, I have my coffee with me right now, a kind of coffee you would never have imagined. I’m planning to stay in my house all day as there is going to be a big rain today. The weather forecast has improved a lot in ten years, by the way. That’s why I kind of feel like writing a letter to you. I'm sipping my coffee, preparing for my breakfast, watching the news, and shopping for groceries while writing this letter. Don't ask me how I do that. You will find it out yourself. You know what? I've rarely heard anything about corruption on the news lately, but racism is still an issue even up to this day. *sigh*

 

Sitting on my bed looking outside my automated window, I realize that we are seeing a different world at the moment. The wooden window that you're opening right now is not here anymore, mate. No, I’m not seeing the green sawah (rice fields in Indonesia) you're seeing from your bedroom right now. They're all gone. I'm instead seeing new buildings and, oh, how cute! A group of grandpas is walking down the street! I think I have more grandparents here around me than ever as health care is getting better and better and life expectancy is rising day by day.

 

I bet you're still home being quarantined, aren't you? Don't get me wrong, though. I’m not anywhere near a paranormal nor a fortune-teller. I’m you. Yes, you! The you from 2030, the 10-years-older you! This is probably creepy hearing from your future self, especially because this kind of letter wasn’t really a thing in 2020, right? I mean, we're living in an advanced technology right now, so don’t be shocked! Now that I have the opportunity to send a letter 10 years back to my past self, or you, to be exact, I won’t tell you anything about me, your future self, as it might affect how you live and how you perceive your present life. I don’t want to affect and be involved in any of your decision-making process. Be that as it may, I only want to thank you for contributing to the society at your very best, for washing your hands, for staying at home during the pandemic despite all the challenges. Even your small contribution saves lives.

 

Remember what Bil Keane once said, “Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That’s why we call it the 'present'.”  I know you are extremely worried about what the future holds. Writing a letter for my old self and portraying my history is fun, but writing one for my younger self and disclosing my own mystery is another kind of story. How would you feel if you already knew the future? Would you still feel the excitement of a joyous moment that you may experience in the future? Could you still feel the thrill and adrenaline circulating through your blood? Would you still dream a lot?

 

You don’t know what happens tomorrow but you surely know what is happening now. I also don’t seem to see any reason for me to change the past. Remember that your today is a gift. Don't ever mortgage your joy in the present for the future that you yourself don't know. Live your today to the fullest. Treasure every moment you spend with your family and friends. Help others in need. Enjoy seeing the sawah while sipping your morning coffee.

 

Let’s just keep your tomorrow as a mystery. Your future may be, and sure is, very important, but living your today and cherishing every second that you have at the moment is more important. Never take your today for granted. Life is not all about achieving your dream but creating memories for a lifetime. Never let anybody affect you, not even your future self. You do you.

 

Oh, I think the rain is coming.

Anyway, please reply to me in ten years. I'm really hoping to hearing from you!

 

 

Love always,

You with more wrinkles

 

 

P.S. Your favorite jeans are not a trend anymore!

Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

#OneDayOneRecipe Bareng Yummy App!

Aku sampe nggak tau deh udah berapa ratus kali bilang kalau 'aku suka banget masak masakk'. Akhirnya aku bener-bener nemu hobby baru!! Frankly speaking, i could say that I've developed some skills of cooking and baking thanks to this #StayatHome situation  wkwk pede. Btw fun fact, aku tu tertarik sih buat masak, tapi sumpah nggak suka banget prosesnya! Nggak enjoyable gitu lhoo. Tapi rasa satisfied kalo udah liat hasil masakannya tuh,, beda cerita lagi! Masak tuh sebenernya nggak enjoyable, iya nggak sih?? *well at least for me xixi #hashtagfact. Apalagi buat yang nggak jago-jago amat kayak aku gini. Harus nonton youtube dulu, cari-cari resep dulu, terus brainstorm resep versi aku sendiri, nulis bahan-bahan, beli groceries dulu, cari-cari tutorial (lagi) barangkali ada yang salah / kelewat, terus baru deh bisa mulai masak. Hadeh pusing duluan mikirnya kebanyakan ritual. Nah tapi tapi tapii gara gara quarantine ini aku kan jadi lebih sering eksplorasi dunia masak memasak

'Beban Ganda' Bagi Indonesia

Siapa yang mati gaya gara-gara berbulan-bulan di rumah terus??  * angkat tangan sendiri * Jadi kan a yah gue dulu emang sering ngerekam-rekam gitu dan rekaman-rekamannya masih ada sampe sekarang huhu terharu banget 😭 Gara-gara karantina ini belakangan hari gue jadi bongkar-bongkar rekaman  handy cam  lama dari 15 dan 16 tahunan yang lalu. Sumpah taunya gue culun maksimal dulu hahahah kacau kacau....  Gue jadi bisa liat masa kecil pas rambut gue masih rambut batok gitu lol kalo nggak ada rekamannya kan mana pernah mau ngaku kalo gue pernah seculun itu haha. Ini nih salah satu highlight rekaman gue yang bakal gue obrolin kali ini. Dulu gue sekeluarga sempet tinggal di Banjarmasin dan kalo lebaran nggak bisa balik ke Jawa akhirnya kita jalan-jalan ke kota lain di sana, kebetulan waktu itu kita mau ke Palangkaraya. Waktu gue liat videonya, ternyata hampir sepanjang rekaman tuh jalanannya dipenuhin asap gara-gara kebakaran hutan. Btw gue dulu sebenernya paling sebel sih kalo

I'm Learning New Language!!

Ok, i think ive reached the peak of boredom here being quarantined for weeks. I keep doing the same thing eeevery single day so i thought it would be legit if i could do something//??? else/?/?// something better than being a couch potato at the very least.  And learning new language seems cool😎 well at least for me. Yeah, new language babe!! I'm being really optimistic with this one as i still have a lot of times until my uni starts and im a total jobless right now so,,,. what else to worry? i was a little bit lost on deciding which language i should learn hence i initially did a quick research on the internet to read people's suggestions. A lot of them suggest that its best to learn one of the United Nations' official language (beside english): arabic, mandarin, french, russian, and spanish. Out of all of them, i saw people suggest Mandarin, Spanish, and French the most. Here they come my top 3 candidates!! So how did i finally choose spanish? Ez. It wasn't